Contributors

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Proof is in the Peanut Brittle

We've had some unsuccessful attempts at making our Ole' Fashioned Peanut Brittle lately, and as we had suspected, proof that the high humidity is to blame.
Taken from www.baking911.com:
" Always make candy on a cool, dry day. Heat, rain and humidity, as well as altitude, can affect how candy turns out (caramel syrup can made made, however) -- cooking time can increase substantially or the sugar may never set up at all. This is because sugar attracts water. I usually try to check out the weather, but if I can't, then I do this little "thing" that I have done for years: I press my chin down to my chest and then lift. If it sticks then the humidity is high, if not, it isn't."


Yep, we're stickin' these days.

I apologize to our die-hard peanut brittle fans, but you will have to wait until mid-September to get your hands on more of our peanut brittle.

Fortunately, our Spicy Asian Brittle utilizes a different sugar/water ratio and seems to be doing just fine, whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment